Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Weekend at Hecla

It's been a while since I've posted so I figured it was time to take a break from Rome:Total War (my new favourite computer game) and write about what's been going on. This past weekend we headed out to Hecla Island Provincial Park for some camping. There was actually more to it than that but more on that later. After a hectic Thursday and Friday of packing, borrowing a truck, getting food together and more camping we were off. We're not big campers and up until now we've always just jammed our car full which meant only the necessities came with. This time we borrowed a truck. WOW!!! We fit all our bikes, a bbq and all the gear we needed for the weekend. It was great!!! I'm spoiled. And driving an extended cab half tonne is soooo cool! The only thing that wasn't cool was the $130 in gas it used to go there and back. Our probably would have used about $60. ouch. So we left Friday at 5:45pm and got there around 9:15pm. In case you don't know Hecla Island is part of the Lake Winnipeg Narrows about 1.5 hours straight north of Winnipeg. There is a campground, a resort, a golf course, a historic Icelandic village and a marina, that commercial fisherman use and pleasure yaughters.(is that spelt wright?) So we got camp set up, had some hotdogs and huddled around the fire. We all got to sleep around midnight. It was a very cold night and the morning was chilly too. It was overcast (even though the freakin' forecast said sunny all weekend. That morning we had breakfast and then biked over to the marina. We picked up some minnows and then Griffin and I fished for about 45 min while Tina and Emi played. (no we didn't catch anything). Just before lunch we headed over to the resort. My mom and dad were staying there for the weekend. It was sort of a 60th birthday celebration for my dad. But he didn't know we were camping there (my mom did) So got to the resort and I texted my mom letting her know we were there. She called back and said she was at the campground in the bathroom. She had convinced my dad to drive around the campground for some reason and when we weren't there said she had to go to the bathroom so she could call my me. We hurried back while she somehow convinced him to drive around some more. I think she said something about seeing a bear. So we got back and the kids watched for their car while Tina and I started getting lunch ready. So my parents drive around again and my Dad says "That looks like Griffin?" It was, so they stopped and got out. He was very surprised. He saw my golf clubs in the truck and was even more excited. (he likes golf). So we're chatting when I hear a diesel truck coming. The next surprise. It's my Dad's work truck. He looks at it confused and says, "What's my truck doing here". And how pops my brother Adam who flew up from Kansas the night before. Yay Second surprise. The look on my Dad's face was priceless. So we had lunch and went our seperate ways for the afternoon. At 4pm Adam, my dad and I met at the golf course. We had a tee time for 5pm. When we got there I ran into two people I knew who were part of the tournament that was going on that afternoon. Adam just shook his head because I generally run into someone I know no matter where we are. It was a great round of golf. It's been a long time since the three of us have golfed together. After supper we headed back to the site for a fire and sunflower seeds. That night was colder than the night before. Tina had something like 800 layers on and was still cold. Of course Griffin wakes up at 6:00am and complains that he's sweating. He went back to sleep and we all got up around 8am. AFter getting ready we went to the resort to have breakfast with mom and dad and Adam. My Dad was sitting and the end and shortly after we got our food my mom takes out her camera and says "I want to get a picture with ALL you guys." Somebody puts their hands on my Dad's shoulders and he looks back to see three guys he golfs with quite often but had no idea they were coming. Another great moment. So while they were golfing the rest of us spent some time in the pool at the resort. The kids had a lot of fun. My parents used to take Adam and I to the resort way back when we were kids. It's changed a LOT. Very posh now. Hoity Toity if you will. Ummmmm after swimming we had supper and then fished some more. (still nothing) After that it was time to head home. It was sooo much fun. I was so tired when we got back but it was worth it for a weekend like that. I think my favourite part was that my Dad had a weekend he'll never forget. The look of joy on his face was priceless. I'll treasure this for a looooong time.

3 comments:

  1. i was just looking at that resort online! it does look posh. glad you had a great weekend! annnnd it is "yachters".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. The best part was the smile on Dad's face all weekend. The second best part was mom running from the airport parking cops after running my passport inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im happy you enjoyed some cool camping~

    ReplyDelete