Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Some Recipes

Yesterday I said, "maybe I'll post some recipes" so here we go. On Friday I was in a crazy mood. We have these 6lbs chickens that we bought from this hutterite. We haven't really felt like cooking them in the oven so I decided I was going to cut it up and grill it on the bbq. I found a website that showed how to divide up the bird. Note - give yourself more than 6 hours to defrost the chicken. It'll make it a lot easier. I think I did a pretty good job. It at least looked like it does in the store. No I needed to make the rub. Aye there's the rub. I have this book of French recipes. There is one for when you roast a chicken. I modified it a little bit to make it more grill friendly. Here it is.
1tsb of dried rosemary, or 1tbsp if fresh
3 gloves of garlic minced
1/4 of fresh lemon juice (Realemon works too)
4 tbsp of margarine at room temp. (I melted it)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of paprika (how much is a pinch anyway)
salt and pepper

Mix it all together. If you don't melt the margarine it's more of a rub. If you melt it you can baste the chicken with it as you're bbq'ing. It turned out really good.
Tips:
With a big bird (not the big bird, a big bird) like I had butterfly cutting the breast helps a lot. That's basically when you cut the breast in half, it folds open to look like butterfly wings. Also, anything with bones in it will take longer to cook all the way through. (Tina told me that one)

The other recipe I have is one of my kids favourites. It's for strawberry/banana shakes. I don't have amounts because Emi just tells me when I've added enough. Anyway, in a blender put in frozen strawberries and cut up frozen bananas. Every summer we freeze a whole shwack of strawberries in freezer bags. They get used for shakes, porridge and other things. The bananas are just the ones that get overripe during the year. We peel them and through them in a bag in the freezer. How handy is that!?! So put that stuff in. Then add a bit of milk. (or soy or rice milk) Blend it up a bit. Add some mix and blend it more. Do this till everything is chopped up and you have the consistency your want. Then add some sugar till it's as sweet as you want it and WALA! You have tasty shakes for a hot day. Yummy.
that's it for now
cheers

1 comment: