Monday, May 4, 2009

Bernie's Birthday Bash


So I headed off the my friend Bernie's birthday party on Saturday night in Winnipeg. Bernie was in my musical theatre class at the University of Winnipeg and a person I would totally drive to Winnipeg for to help celebrate his birthday. I was actually at his girlfriend Robyn's birthday party in January but I have to admit that was only because Bernie invited me and I was in that part of Winnipeg anyway. Sorry Robyn (Next year would totally be for a different reason). Bernie is awesome. He is happy and caring and gives the best hugs ever. (family not included) He's pretty funny too and has a great laugh. The party was fun because I got to see people from school I hadn't seen in a few weeks. By August I am going to miss them a lot!!
It's sad that Musical Theatre is over. What I love about theatre classes is that you have to take risks to succeed and when you take risks you make yourself vulnerable and when you make yourself vulnerable you open up and when you open up you make friends. Between Acting Theory, Musical Theatre and Drama in Ed I can name every person in the class. Between Linear Algebra, Stats and Calculus I can name 2. That is why people love taking theatre more than regular lecture classes. It's the community that you build. I'm not taking any theatre next year (probably) and that makes me sad because I will lose that connection. I can still go hang out in the theatre lounge but it will be different. There won't be as much time for that. But life is all about moving on. You spend sooooo much time together as a group and then you move on realizing you will never meet in that way again or have the same connections.
examples

1. Leaving Camp after working there for two months.
2. Playing our last game of softball with a group of guys who had been together for 5 years. (That was hard)
3. The end to any show/tour I've been involved in.
4. The last day of class (or presentation day)

In my old age I've learned to recognize these "last moments" and treasure them. And then hold them in my memories rather than trying in vain to hang on to what isn't there anymore. There are those moments of regret or sadness. But there are even more smiles. I'm much more richer as a person because of the people I've met and the experiences we've had. So I'll choose to linger on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment