Thursday, May 7, 2009

School Curriculum Stuff

Generally when a parent writes a blog with the title "School Curriculum" it's going to be a complaint about what is wrong with the school system today. That is not my intent. Monday was International Music Day or something like that and Griffin's school (J.R. Walkof) has an outdoor concert. The school's music teacher is Cecilia Gil. She is fabulous. At the Christmas concert Griffin had a solo, when he got to the mic and started singing we couldn't hear him because the mic wasn't on. She literally stopped the song, looked to the back and asked what's going on. When they got the mic working they started the song over again and I got to hear my son. I think most conductors would have just gone with it but she knew it was important and so did what she did. Griffin didn't even want to do a solo at first but she told him God gave him a talent and he should use it. I'm so thankful she did. Now on to the spring concert. Each grade level did a choir piece and then a movement piece. A MOVEMENT PIECE!! OK it was dance. I grew up in a Mennonite community and there was NO dancing. To see these students singing and moving around warmed my heart. They were so great. Another thing that warmed my heart was the way Ms. Gil works with the deaf students in the classes. I think there are 4 but I'm probably wrong. Anyway, she works with them doing rhythm with drums and shakers and bells. And they have their part in the concert. I think I heard she even went to the deaf centre in Winnipeg to learn more on how to help deaf students. Fabulous. Ok this hasn't been that focused on curriculum but I wanted to highlight the great work that this teacher is doing. I think she'd be great to a practicum with. Too bad Emi will be in J.R. next year. But at least she'll have a fabulous music teacher.

1 comment:

  1. related: that is exciting! i hope she teaches there for manymany years.

    unrelated: i am very please to see that Griffin is wearing a bombers jersey :D

    ReplyDelete