Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Day Done

So my first day of teaching is done. I have a really great class. They are fun. Maybe a little chatty, but fun none the less. It was actually a pretty easy day. Once we start getting into actualy work though things may get a little tougher. I'm struggling a little. Ok a lot. This whole, splitting classes and having one group work while the other is being taught is a little overwhelming. Especially considering some of this stuff I've never taught or seen taught before. I think science is scaring me the most because every class combined. I want to do so much hands one but I also need work for students to do on their own. I don't want this feeling for the whole year. This stumbling around feeling like I don't know what I'm doing and that I'm not really teaching but just keeping students busy and that no one is benefiting from my being there and that the stuff I'm doing is stupid. I love these kids. I just want them to have the teacher they deserve. I don't feel like that right now. (geez louise and it's only the first day)
cheers

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bud, do you have to split them? Can't you just teach them all the same stuff even though they are in different grades? That's what I've always done with splits, but the oldest group I've taught is 5/6. Maybe when you're just starting some curriculum could be missed, but is the same group of kids stay with you over their years in the school all of it will eventually be covered. What you're describing sounds incredibly hard, maybe even impossible. Especially given the kind of person/teacher you are. I'd encourage you to look into other ways of doing it, that might fit better with your personal/educational philosophy. A good place to start is the multilevel document 'Independent Together' that the dept of ed puts out. I really, really like this document and used it all the time. Check out Chapter 5: Curriculum Integration in the Multilevel Classroom. It's only a few pages long and might give you some alternate ideas. Let me know if you can't find it with a google search and I'll send you the link.

    In the end, you're going to have to give yourself as much grace as you'd give your students. You are learning right along with them and it's not all going to be comfortable or the way you want it immediately. Many aspects will actually suck, but that's okay because you're awesome and in order to keep you humble and accessible to regular folk, it's always important to suck sometimes.

    Sorry for all the advice. Sometimes I can't help myself. Feel free to delete the comment and call me a shit head if it's just annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bud I truly believe you are a smart man and you are a great teacher, that being said, you were hired in an incredibly hard teaching position for your FIRST YEAR!!!! Seriously, one day at a time and enjoy!!!
    Don't stress too much, you had Darren- call him up, he will have a multitude of ideas for you to make your job a lot more manageable.
    Please don't be so hard on yourself, they hired you because they believe in you, the kids believe in you, your family and friends believe in you. Now you believe in you.
    I'll be praying for you. That you feel relaxed, have a clear mind and are reminded why you are a teacher in the first place

    Denay

    ReplyDelete