Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The End of Another Era

My latest adventure in theatre is over and I have to say it was one of my favourite. I was in Winnipeg A LOT but I think it was totally worth it. It was hard on the family and myself being gone so much. I think Griffin generally misses me the most. I miss him too. We have a lot of catch up to do over the next few months. I intend to do just that. With Emi and Tina too. I'm looking forward the most to our trip to Alberta in July. We'll be spending two weeks together as a family. That will be great. Anyway, back to Anne Frank. There are a few reasons why I enjoyed being a part of this show.


1. I love the people in the cast. Most of them I know from being in classes with and the rest I knew because of other people. We were like a family. The main parts were for the 9 students in Fourth Year Honours and four minor roles were opened up for non-honours students. I played Mr. Kraler, who is a business partner of Mr. Frank and is one of their main go-betweens the annex and the outside world. The class has so many talented actors. It was a joy just to watch them rehearse and prepare and be a part of that. This show also gave me a chance to spend time with them one last time. Most of them are graduating this year and moving on to Life After U of W. I'm going to miss them.

2. It was nice being in a show where I didn't have to worry about anything except showing up and acting. Our Director was great. Her name is Ann Hodges. You may recognize her as director of "Strike" the Musical and MTC's Jitters. She was so much fun to work with and I learned a lot from her. The set was fantastic, the costumes were great and the lighting was amazing. The show was all set in the annex and yet lighting was an integral part of the story.

While I really enjoyed the show it was hard being gone so much. I really am enjoying being at home and having to drive only 5 minutes to the rehearsals I'm working on now for our next show in Winkler. I'm stage managing which is certainly providing a new perspective on things.
So to the fourth year honours class thank you for your hard work in making this show brilliant, your support, for allowing into your circle and for most of all your friendship. I will treasure this opportunity I had to perform with you.
cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment