Thursday, March 11, 2010

A little Bit of History

So I'm taking Mennonite History this semester. I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I absolutetly LOVE it!!!!! I've know some of the stories of my ancestors but I am so excited to be able to put these stories into context. I went to my grandparents yesterday for an hour and just asked questions about their family history (it's mine as well I guesss). Did you know my great-great grandpa Michael Klaassen was part of a delegation that went to Mexico in 1920? Many Mennonites ended up moving there but my great-great grandfather decided not to. Did you know that my great-great grandma and grandpa Rempel were Sommerfelders but my great-grandpa Rempel and his family broke off and joined the EMMC church. There was a lot of friction in the family because of that. Did you know a sketch my great-great-great grandfather Martin Klaassen drew is said to have been hung in the Tsar's palace? I guess that's where my mom gets it from.
I can't wait to find out more.
cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment