Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's Up Now

So I started my new job this week. I'm only working 3 days a week which allows for some balance of being at home and still making money. Almost all of the work is in Winnipeg so I think I would go crazy if I had to do that much driving. All I can say is I have never slept so well as I have this week. I working for my Dad mainly insulating houses. The above picture shows the entrance way of a house with a vaulted ceiling. It's not bad doing something like this because there is nice scaffolding. I get a little more nervous standing on a 2x8 over a staircase.
This is one of the bedrooms. Much easier.
Here's what I like about this job.
1. I get to see my Dad on a regular basis. (He often brings me coffee or takes me out for breakfast.
2. The pay is pretty good. (Good enough that I'm willing to drive to Winnipeg to do it.)
3. The hours are flexible. (It doesn't matter if I show up at 7am or 8:30am, or leave at 3pm or 5pm. I just need to get the work done)
4. Physical labour. (A nice switch from the cerebral work of school)
5. The radio. (I love listening to the radio. Now I get to listen 8-10 hours a day)
6. I get to see Kenton on occasions. (What could be better than that?)
7. Staying in Winnipeg means maybe I'll get to see some UofW friends.

Here's what I don't like about this job.
1. Insulation (Sometimes it makes my eyes water and if my dust mask isn't on properly it feels like I'm chewing on sand. And my clothes are covered with insulation dust when I'm done.)
2. My knees and hip are sore after work. (I'm old)
3. 9 ft ceilings (insulation is in 4ft lengths. You do the math)
4. Bad framing. (Bad framing means extra work for me)
5. Spray Foam for the windows. (It gets on everything and doesn't wash off)
6. 2x8 planks over staircases

cheers

2 comments:

  1. ah memories of insulating my own house, i can relate to all the things you like and don't like! i especially liked the radio part, and i especially did NOT like the cold showers you have to take after :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spray foam has to be better than having to push those little strips in with a putty knife. That was the worst! Especially when you're getting paid piece-work.

    ReplyDelete