Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Children's Book

Wow, another post.
I can't believe how many times I've posted this week while still getting homework done.
So anyway, I've read at two schools this week for I love to read month. Well actually I read and I tell stories. I have two stories I've made up that I use along with the books I read and kids from Kindergarten up to Grade 7 (That's the seventh grade for you Americans reading) all love them. I've been thinking for a while that maybe it's time to try and get these stories published as books. The big question that comes to mind is will these stories translate to books. How much is going to depend on the illustrations. How much of the enjoyability (is that a word?) of these stories is in how I tell them. The other question is how the heck does one go about getting a children's book published. Anyway, just some thoughts. I would be cool being an author.
Would mean I'd have to wear a scarf and get a house with a studio overlooking water?
cheers

5 comments:

  1. yes you'd have to start wearing scarves that's for sure. i have a friend i sing with who is a writer. let me ask him for you how one would go about getting their stories published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meagan. I have a grandma knit scarf I got from the MCC relief sale in Morris that's in Gryffindor colours. Or does it have to be one of those grey wool ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk to Liz. She recently had a children's book published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't have to be wool. it's the overall "i need to hide behind something at all times" look that you're going for. could even be silk. my writer friend says, since you are a terrific story teller, you should record your stories when you tell them, write them down, and then bring them to someone who can take your stories and re-write them down with all the vocal intentions you've recorded. then take them to a publisher. there are several in town here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an aunt who is a graphic artist extraordinaire. She's written a book with the coolest collage artwork to go along with the story. She's a great writer. Dale and I have both read the book and she's had published authors read her book and tell her it's great. An aside . . . her husband's aunt is THE Barbara Smucker. Anyway, she's been all the way to Italy for Children's Book publishing conferences, meeting with agents and editors. She's mailed it away to tons of publishers. Nothing. I think if you're willing to self publish it's easy. And you might get lucky. But her experience has been that it's a lot of work. She hasn't given up though.

    I have no doubt that you are a great storyteller. When I was subbing, I always spent the first thirty or so minutes telling a real story about myself. It charmed even the 12 and 13 years olds and had them eating out of my hand for the rest of the day. Stories are amazing.

    I think you should go the Robert Munsch route first and become famous as a story teller and then make your millions publishing your stories. Just me 2 cents. Just stay away from the drugs.

    ReplyDelete