Friday, August 26, 2011

End of an Era?

Ok not really an end of an era. This last week I finished my summer stint working for Landville Drywall, my Dad's company. You could say I've been working on and off for him for 35 years. (I didn't have to do stuff till I was 2) The last 3 summers have likely been the most important for me. I don't think I would have been able to get a summer job around Winkler area. And especially not one that paid the same amount that I made working in Winnipeg. There were good and bad things.
Good
-wages
-flexibility of hours and days worked
-get to see my parents
-breakfasts with my dad
-got to hang out with my cousins
Bad
-gone from home more than I would have liked
-dusty, itchy working conditions
-on the road, A LOT
I think one of my favourite things about this job has been going for breakfast with my dad. That is the thing I will treasure most. It has been an opportunity for us to just hang out. sigh. I'm going to miss that. I have also appreciated the opportunity to have a good paying job and being needed. I know Landville is busy and that this is work that needs to be done so they can keep up. They aren't scrounging to find work for me to do. I'm doing my part to help them keep up.
The thing is I don't want to need to work for Landville anymore because that would mean I have a teaching job. The construction thing is fun but it feels temporary. I'm looking forward to some permanence again.
cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment