Sunday, June 23, 2013

Year 1 Reflections

Here are some of the important lessons I've learned this year.
1. I'm too hard on myself or "Hey stupid, try to remember you're a first year teacher."
I had a lot of expectations for myself coming into this year and every time something didn't go the way I wanted it to I beat myself up over it. This led to frustration on my part which probably meant frustration on the part of my students. 
2. I take comments from kids too personally or "Hey stupid, don't take everything so personally."
I took over for a well liked teacher who had been there for 16 years. It was too be assumed that I would be compared to him. I took it personally.
3. How to plan or "Hey stupid, plan better"
I feel excited about next year because I feel like I know what a need to do this summer to be prepared for the fall. I didn't feel that way last year. I'm feeling better about everything.
4. Computer games and internet get in the way of everything I want to accomplish or "Hey stupid, do you realize you're addicted to a mindless pastime that does not benefit you or anyone around you?"
point taken
cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment