Monday, August 3, 2009

A Few Quick Hit Thoughts


I'm not in the mood to do a long spiel about what's been going on so I'll do it in quick hits ala Don Banks. (SI writer)

-Went to the Pioneer Days parade in Steinbach on Friday. My mom built a float for it and made costumes for the kids. Griffin and Emilia were a part of it. I think the float is incredible. My mom is awesome. And the float won for best theme.

-Steinbach puts on a really good parade. I hate the Winkler parade. The difference. Steinbach had actual floats. Winkler has tractors, rv's and semi's. ugh

-Spent part of the day with my grandparents. That was special. I remember when my grandma used to set up a booth a Pioneer Days. It brought back good memories.

-Some people I know joke about the Mennonite Heritage Museum being for old people. Well I can understand why they go. For many it's a reminder of what they went through. A peak back at their childhood. It made me relfective.

-One man told me Steinbach is throwing away it's Mennonite heritage as fast as it can. To a certain extent I can understand why having lived in Landmark. I'm not impressed that things like dancing were so repressed. I'm 35 now and wish I could have been dancing my whole life. It's the legalistic things like that that have turned off so many people my age. That's why new churches coming up don't have the word mennonite. Or they change the name of the church to take it out. I think there were some things the older generations of mennonites got right though. I don't have the time to get into that.

-Worked for my dad again today. I made more insulating a house than I would doing a 3 evening shifts at a job that pays $9.50. I really should be doing this all summer. But then there's childcare, and all that driving.

-Bad things come in threes. And just when we're trying to save money. The fridge died, the car needed repairs and now the dehumidifier is on the fritz. AAAACK!!!!!!

Well that's it. I'm off to Winnipeg tomorrow to drywall a house. Good times

cheers
Bud

1 comment:

  1. - I didn't know that was your mom's float! It was definitely a 'stand out'. I think your mom is amazing too.
    - I love the museum. (sigh) All that old stuff that tells the real stories of people's lives. Somehow, in museums, the stuff takes centre stage, and the stories almost fade into the background. I sometimes wonder if museums get it wrong that way .... I know I breeze through a museum in record time. All those facts and stuff bore me sometimes. But give me a person with a real and honest account of their life and I'm smitten.
    - I what that man was saying, and I get what you're saying too. I don't think either 'side' has the corner on the truth though. I think we just get confused b/c we there's so much religion we associate with faith and spirituality. But we're human and we never really get rid of those legalistic tenancies. Even those who think they've shed them, still have them, just in a different part of their life maybe. Don't even get me started on 'religious instruction' in the schools. I have an article started and saved on my computer. Not sure whether to post it on my blog, submit it to the Carilon or just stick my head in the sand and 'chicken out'.

    ReplyDelete